Monday, October 8, 2007

Of love...

My good, and not to mention observant, friend, a certain big bad bro, pointed out… Your blog is titled ‘Of life, love & learning’. I can see the learning and maybe even the life, but where is the love? So here’s to you, O sharp one (and may I never get caught in those famous spikes of rage), a list of some of the things I love.

The sudden giggle of a toddler in a crowded plane, and the resulting smiles around. That collective realization, that wherever it is that you may have to run to, there should always be time to smell the flowers.

As I have said before, and quite elaborately, Friday afternoons… Those that come after chaotic weeks, boring weeks, lazy weeks, frustrating weeks. Any work weeks :)

A satisfying, wholesome conversation. With anyone, about anything. Fills your mind like a rich dark melting chocolate inundates your mouth. The conversation that opens your mind, challenges you, tickles you, surprises you, entertains you, fulfills you.

The 2 seconds of silence that come unexpectedly, when you are noisily chattering away with friends. A teacher in my school said, that this only happens when an angel passes through the room.

Sunshine. The warmth in a stranger’s smile. An unexpected phonecall or note from an out of touch friend. A clean house. A new book. Maggi. Cake. A home cooked meal. A great film. A new outfit. An afternoon nap.

Of late, daaru session with some trusted friends. The talks that follow that. The ease, and the kinship you feel with those around whom you can let down your guard. Actually the kinship with any friend you trust, daaru or not.

Plans. Of travel, of dinners, of friends coming over, of weddings. Of the future filled with friends and family and laughter and trust. Of a tomorrow full of hope. Even if I must marry my daughter to a brat friend’s unborn brat (sigh, I hope not).

Memories. Those sweet distortions of the past. Like the pictures which seem unadultaratedly happy, censoring out any irritations or frustrations of that time. Just frozen smiles. Yes we kid ourselves. But then what use is the stark truth when the lie is so appealing. My memories of the times gone by, decades (ok 2 decades at the most) ago or just weeks. They link me to my favourite people. They make those people my favourite people.

So, oh foe turned friend, does this answer your question?

10 comments:

Anjul said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anjul said...

Too good....

Unknown said...

Touche!!!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nisha said...

:)i think that says it all...

p.s im upset that you've brought youknowho into this lovely picture of happiness and love!

Commander No. 1 said...

i read through your piece... very candid and lovely ... it set me thinking about a few other "types of love" that we have
for eg:
1) love for our immediate family, such as parents, siblings...
2) for our belongings, like my school shirt, or my car
3) an unknown love for someone of our future... like a dream partner...
4) and love for myself........

my point is: there are so many loves that we are yet to capture its true definition... and when we try to express our "love" we leave so many aspects untouched that its an incomplete expression

i am not criticizing your piece bhavna... i am just adding my two cents to it.. :-)

Unknown said...

Love and giggles of toddlers aren't quite my thing.. id normally associate SOPPY, SENTIMENTAL and SILLY with such writing but since its you, I shan't.

lol. kidding. Good stuff. you may think of me as the black knight in dented armor wading in with the occasional wacky somewhat nonsensical comments. Good to see you plunge headlong into the world of blogging, or, as we like to call ourselves, the really sad club with loads of time on our hands.

Bhavna said...

srivats, my friend... i think ur future is in writing feel good books...

Vikram Mall said...

Another very sensible post Bhavna. One can go through life loving or being sceptical about everything.

J Krishnamurthy in his book "The Matter of Culture" says

"Love is feeling; not 'a' feeling."

If one leads life looking for a feeling then life always eludes you about love.

But when you can feel...

Bhavna said...

Thanks Vikram, that was beautiful... love is feeling, not 'a feeling'... Why didn't I ever think of it!